Graduate Research

The College of Engineering offers hundreds of paid research assistantships to graduate students each year. Learn more about the opportunities for assistantships and fellowships.

Undergraduate Research

In addition to the various opportunities provided by the cooperative education program, the College of Engineering offers undergraduate students many ways to explore the ideas that interest them the most.

Participating in undergraduate research allows students to enhance their learning experiences while still in school. Using the skills they develop, students will be more successful in their classes as well as prepare them for advanced degree or professional employment. Students can conduct their own individual research projects, work with a faculty member, or be part of a group project.

Before you begin, you will likely need:

Funding for student research

  • Financial compensation may come from work-study funding for part- or full-time positions, or grant funding for any position. Students may also choose to engage in research for credit through directed study. (See below for details on workstudy and credit options.)
  • University-supported undergraduate research is through the Office of the Provost. The Northeastern University research website offers research guides, funding opportunities, and the latest news in NU research. Students who wish to be considered should first discuss possible topics with their faculty sponsor, and then start the application process for Provost Research Award (REU) funding. Note: The Provost Research Award funds CANNOT be used for student stipends. ALL funds must be directly applied to support research.
How do students with workstudy funding get hired to do research?

The process is simple:

  1. Meet a professor that has a research project you can contribute to.
  2. Agree on the # of hours per week.
  3. The professor must email with the student’s NUID# and the # of hours per week.
  4. The student will be hired and receive an email confirming the arrangement.
  5. Please fill out this form and email it to
  6. Each week the student works, they fill in their timesheet on Student Employment. As long as they fill in the agreed-upon # of hours, the timesheet will be approved. The professors should notify if the students are not complying with the agreed-upon hours so that the hours can be renegotiated.
How else can students receive funding?
How do students interested in doing research for credit make this arrangement?
  1. Meet a professor that has a research project you can contribute to.
  2. Student and professor jointly complete the form available at The professor will have to sign and approve the directed study form before it is sent to the departmental academic advisors.
  3. NOTE: If students do research as directed study in addition to four 4-credit (16+ credits) courses in one semester, they will incur overload charges. This can be avoided by taking three courses.

How to find research opportunities